Wednesday 30 October 2013

Some Jane Austen quotes

In a post at Regency Delight it was brought to my notice, that today is Talk Like Jane Austen Day.
And what better way to celebrate it, than to post some of my favourite Jane Austen quotes/passages:


"There certainly are not so many men of large fortune in the world as there are pretty women to deserve them"
                         - Mansfield Park


"No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine"
               - Northanger Abbey


"To look almost pretty is an acquisition of higher delight to a girl who has been looking plain the first fifteen years of her life than a beauty from  her cradle can ever receive"
            - Northanger Abbey

  
"Mrs. Ferrars' family had of late been exceedingly fluctuating. For many years of her life she had had two sons, but the crime and annihilation of Edward a few weeks ago, had robbed her of one, the similar annihilation of Robert had left her for a fortnight without any, and now by the resuscitation of Edward, she had one again.
In spite of his being allowed once more to live, however, he did not feel the continuance of his existence secure, till he had revealed his present engagement, for the publication of that circumstance, he feared, might give a sudden turn to his constitution, and carry him off as rapidly as before"
                  - Sense & Sensibility


"More than once did Elizabeth in her ramble within the Park unexpectedly meet Mr Darcy. She felt all the perverseness of the mischance that should bring where no one else was brought, and to prevent its ever happening again, took care to inform him at first, that it was a favourite haunt of hers. How it could occur a second time therefore was very odd! - Yet it did, and even a third"
              - Pride & Prejudice


"A lady's imagination is very rapid, it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment"
               - Pride & Prejudice


"There is but one married woman in the world whom I can ever allow to invite what guests she pleases to Donvell, and that one is...Mrs. Knightley, and till she is in being, I will manage such matters myself."
            - Emma


"I examined my own heart, And there you were. Never, I fear, to be removed"
           - Emma BBC 2009 (I know it's not in the book, but it's just so perfect)



And then of course this classic, that I could never exclude:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife"
                         - Pride & Prejudice


If your favourite quote isn't here, or you think I've left out a big treasure, you can let me know in a comment.

Happy Talk Like Jane Austen Day to all.

1 comment:

  1. How did I not know there is such a day! Yay!

    The last quote is my favorite too, but I miss a shout-out for Mr. Bennet:
    ``You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least.''

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...