Thursday 27 February 2014

Cure for writer's block

I recently decided to take up writing again, after a pause of several years due to school and work.
But almost immediately I was faced with every writer's biggest fear: the writer's block.

I tell you it's a terrible thing, just wanting to write so much it nearly hurts, but being unable to form any idea or even worse, having so many ideas but just being unable to get it down on paper.

Then I thought, maybe I should wait with the big novel potential ideas I always get, and just write something to get back into the routine, and that's where oneword.com came in.

I discovered it by chance, but it is a brilliant website solely designed to help people with writer's block.

The concept is simple: it shows you a random word and then you have 1 minute to write about it.

So simple and yet so effective.
I found it was surprisingly easy to write when I didn't have to think about quality or anything - just writing something random, and when the minute is up you can submit your entry and see what others have written from the same word.

It actually often happens that when I've just finished writing the entry I suddenly get ideas to continue, and more often than not, I end up writing entire short stories just inspired by that simple word.

So I can warmly recommend that site to anyone else out there with writer's block. It has helped me exceedingly.

What do you do when you have writer's block?
I'm always interested in hearing other approaches to the subject, so if anyone has a great trick leave a comment and tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...