Wednesday 12 February 2014

Best music in period dramas

It is no secret many period dramas contain a lot of very beautiful music. Thus when I started outlining this post, I realised, I couldn't possibly have it all in just one post. As a result this post in purely dedicated to adaptions of Jane Austen's works.

Sense & Sensibility (1995)
Well - where to start. All the music in this movie is so beautiful, but I have to say my definite favourite is this one:

 My fathers favourite

I don't know exactly why, but that piece just touches something in me. And it fits so beautifully into the scene, where it's played. And some of it is played by a single piano - so I can play it myself.

I also love the songs Marianne sings in the movie. The lyrics were actually real poems from the time period, that the composer made music for. You can hear them here and here.
Another favourite is the piece Combe Magna which is very dramatic - and I have a weakness for dramatic music.


Pride & Prejudice (1995)
This is a completely different style of music. Where the above mentioned are more grand orchestral pieces, the ones in this series are more simple - but still brilliant.

Of course there is always the intro theme, which is almost iconic for any lover of this series.
I don't think I have one single piece that I like above the others, for they are so varied so I often shift between which ones I like the best. Though a piece I really love at the time is the Pemberley theme - it is just so beautiful and builds up to such a beautiful climax.

Other than that is worth mentioning Double wedding (a nice reprise of the general theme), Canon Collins (the style just fits the character so well) and Lydia's Wedding (again - a dramatic piece)


Pride & Prejudice (2005)
When I first listened to the soundtrack of this movie, what struck me the most was that almost all the pieces were played at the piano, and i truly admired the incredibly talented pianist.
I always think it gives a certain beauty when music is very simple, it often underlines the mood of a scene much better.
In this one my absolute favourite is Liz on top of the world. It just has such a dreamy feeling to it.


But again the movie is filled with gorgeous music. Just take Dawn, Georgiana, Leaving Netherfield and Credits to mention a few.



Emma (2009)
The last period drama to feature in this post and also the newest one. I simply love all the music in this series. Though most of it serves best as background music to subconsciously better the mood, there are one or two pieces that stand out in particular.
The Last Dance is one of them:


It takes the theme used many times throughout the series and turns it into this sweet dance melody, which coincidentally is also used in one of the best scenes of the entire series.
The other dance The Ships Cook is also a favourite of mine.
But otherwise, pieces like Emma Woodhouse is borne and Mr Knightley's walk are great for when you wanna listen to something beautiful, but don't want the music to distract you too much.


So that was some of my favourite soundtrack music. I have a lot more, but I will save it for later posts. Do you have some favourites in the movies of this post, that i have forgotten to mention?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...