Sunday 2 February 2014

Quote of the week






"He felt her there, he saw her without opening his eyes, her hair burnt by chemicals to a brittle straw, her eyes with a kind of cataract unseen but suspect far behind the pupils, the reddened pouting lips, the body as thin as a praying mantis from dieting, and her flesh like white bacon."
                                  Fahrenheit 451  - Ray Bradbury

This week's quote definitely covers the category - weird.
I think it is a study in disturbing metaphors.
I mean which author would ever think:  
I need to convey to the reader that she is pale, but how? Oh, I know, I'll compare her to bacon. Everybody loves bacon.
If his intent was to have me rereading the paragraph several times just to be sure I had got it right - then I guess he succeeded.  


On a completely different subject:

Coming up on this blog:

Period dramas and music



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...